Butterfly Sparks Designs

Saturday, May 4, 2013

chicken week

If you're wondering how our week of chicken went after Monday ...

-Tuesday we had the Chicken Quesadillas. Chris was kind of scared of goat cheese in our quesadillas so I substituted with Santa Fe Blend Cream Cheese. They turned out good!

-Wednesday we had the Roast Chicken with Creamy Polenta and Mushroom Ragout. Let me just say I HATED the polenta ... yuck. But the Mushroom Ragout (whatever that means) was delicious! I will definitely make that again as a side dish. Here's the recipe ...

Mushroom Ragout
Cooking time: 15 minutes

2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups sliced white mushrooms
1 pinch Kosher salt
1 pinch pepper
1 pinch dried thyme
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp tomato paste

1. Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until softened, about 5 to 6 minutes.

2. Season with salt, pepper, and thyme. Add chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste. Mix well to combine.

3. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.

Per serving: 95 calories

-Thursday my Mom invited us over for dinner. WHOO HOO!
-Friday we had the Curried Chicken Couscous.

So, I think it went pretty good. It definitely shortened my cooking time during the week, which was great! Other than the chicken itself and the mushroom side dish, most of the recipes were just ok. I would do it again, but just use different recipes for the chicken.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I have never had luck with polenta either. I love the time saving idea of doing this.